January 17, 2015

Lacking Magic: Terry Pratchett's "Dodger"



First off, I am a huge Terry Pratchett fan. Or at least I have read and loved all the Discworld books. I liked Good Omens too, but when I read that I thought of it more as a Neil Gaiman book.

That said, I did not like this book. I wanted to. But I couldn’t.

I kept reading hoping something would happen that caught me into the world, but it never did.

I couldn’t believe either of the central characters, their relationship, or the antagonism. The world is interesting, but Terry is an old hand at Victorian London. The difference is just that in all the other books it is called Ankh-Morpork. The difference is that on the Disc there is magic, both the kind the Wizards practice, but also between the author and the reader. There is none of that in Dodger.

No comments:

Post a Comment