July 15, 2010

We deserve good fairy tales: On Stardust

Adults deserve good fairy tales, too ~Neil Gaiman.

I have trouble being honest and critical with a well written book. Someone like Gaiman, in all his work so far, is able to create a world and characters that just pull you in and don't let you go. He is able to create the myths that make me suspend disbelief and the critical and writerly mind and just let go.

He does it here in _Stardust_. I have nothing to add in terms of the conflict or the characters because I lived and interacted with them. Books like this remind me why I loved reading so much when I was younger, before I sucked all the fun out by going to graduate school. Perhaps the resolution was telepgraphed to the reader, but that only comes out on reflection. Go get everything he's ever written, and remind yourself why you liked reading too.

We deserve good fairy tales, and we get them from Neil Gaiman. Thank you Neil.

No comments:

Post a Comment