April 11, 2021

Three Reviews, 4.11.2021

 

Tomorrow sex will be good again by Angel

 

I’m a member of the Verso book club where the publisher sends you a book every month. It’s cool and I like supporting independent publishers.

 

I have enjoyed most of the texts that I’ve chosen from the list.

 

This one didn’t really do it for me. It’s a thin hardback I read over a couple of days and then the next day I really couldn’t articulate what I read – It wasn’t bad so I’m not mad that I read it, but it also wasn’t good, so I have warm memories of it. At best it was forgettable, and I feel bad since I might not be the direct audience, but I do consider myself a feminist ally. So, this is just my incredibly subjective opinion, and your mileage may differ.

 

Money: A Suicide Note by Amis

I had this book on my shelf for years and I recently picked it up because I was looking for something different. The first book I read from Amis was Time’s Arrow, and I loved it so much I went and bought a handful of this other books, but it seemed like Time’s Arrow was just a one off and I didn’t seem to like the other things I tried to read.

 

I did finish this one though. And I have to say I think it is the worst book I ever finished that I read on my own. I usually don’t have a problem putting books down if I don’t like them,  but I kept chugging on this one and I don’t know why exactly. Amis does some stylistic things here that I would normally like- the main character is the narrator, and he breaks the fourth wall, there is a secondary character who is a writer named “Martin Amis”.

 

The problem is that the main character is one of the unredeemable creatures. I think Amis was going for a Catcher in the Rye / Confederacy of Dunces thing, but it doesn’t hit. John Self, the main character is an 80s guy doing horrible 80s things in New York and London, and for me it isn’t interesting. He’s horrible but I don’t care about him in that I don’t want him to succeed or fail. That’s not great when the book is so character driven.

 


 

Years of Rice and Salt by Robinson

This is an interesting book. Before I read it, the only thing I knew was the premise – that it was an alternate history positing what would happen if the black death had been more fatal. Perfect pandemic reading.

 

Thoughts: I was expecting it to be more focused on the empty European continent that it was. Shows how Eurocentric I am.

 

The individual stories are impressive. Robinson had to do this larger world building, but then get more specific about not only the culture but how they might have changed as there was greater divergence in the world as it is and the world as he dreamed it. This does make it a bit hard to read, as you get used to one set of characters and the situation and then it moves on.

 

There is in the world he builds a parallel to the actual world, so there are equivalents to Newton and Einstein and Columbus, but they have different names and native tongues. Were I drafting a paper on this book, that might be the thing I focus on. Is Robinson positing some sort of teleology in technological development?

 

Ultimately as a novel it doesn’t really work because it’s not building to anything narratively, it just cycles and fades. But it’s hard to complain because that’s really history, right? One dang thing after another.

 

There is one story that centers around a kid who is captured and made into a eunuch and that was very troubling and hard to read part. But it did make me do more research on eunuchs, a thing I was not expecting happening from reading this text.

No comments:

Post a Comment