June 7, 2016

Grant Morrison's "Nameless": Not My Cup of Tea.



I don’t know if I’m missing something when I read this, but it just didn’t work for me. The plot, as far as I could tell, was subverted for trying to shoehorn in some cool mythical references to make things scarier and to give it all more atmosphere. There’s even a list of references at the back, and reading those didn’t make the plot any more accessible for me. But hey, maybe it wasn’t supposed to be about plot. Maybe it was one of those things where the atmospherics was the key and my own expectations subverted my enjoyment of the text. Who knows? At the very least, the art was very well done which plays into my thought that the doubt of what is going on and the suspense is what makes the book one that is more along the veins of space horror. Not entirely unsuccessful, but not my beverage of choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment