April 7, 2016

Books to Pass Along: On Jenny Lawson

Specifically, this is about "Let's Pretend This Never Happened (A Mostly True Memoir)"



I had never heard of Jenny Lawson, but I read her new book in 2016 after reading the reviews on Amazon and thinking that I should read her work. So I bought that one and read it quickly, and I laughed and laughed much much more than I normally do for books, even humor books.

So of course I had to buy her other book that predated that one. And so I did, and I read it and I laughed and laughed, but not quite as much as I did with the other one. I’m not sure if that is chalked up to laughing fatigue or if the newer one is really better.

I think it comes down to a couple of things. This one is more real. Where Furiousley Happy is a bit more light-hearted, this speaks directly to the author’s mental illness(s), and it makes it a bit harder to laugh with/at her. The second is that there is a good chance that she found her voice and is more confident with it.

Neither of which is to denigrate this book. It is still funny and fun to read and I am going to pass it on to my friends. But when I do, I’ll just have to say how much the other one is better when they give this back to me with a smile on their face.

No comments:

Post a Comment