October 14, 2014

Bumperhead by Gilbert Hernandez: Bildungs-roman

This is an interesting coming of age story about a kid who doesn't seem happy until everything falls in around him. 

It's told in multipe parts -- boyhood, youth, early adulthood, and then later adulthood.
One thing gets me though, that threw me off and lessened my enjoyment. There is a character that we meet in the first part who has an iPad. They're kids so it seems like present day. Then it jumps to the same characters, and they're older, but it's like the early 70s. The kid still has the iPad. That was jarring. If I was more academic I might try to make something of it, but as a lay reader, it didn't work.


http://www.amazon.com/Bumperhead-Gilbert-Hernandez/dp/1770461655/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1413327170&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=bumberhead

No comments:

Post a Comment