March 11, 2014

Bryan Lee O'Malley's "Lost at Sea": a snowflake on my consciousness that has since passed



Back when I was in grad school, if you were trying to write a paper and just spitballing ideas, a professor would ask you ”So what?”  Basically, they wanted you to justify what you were trying to create.  I hate to be overly critical, but I don’t think O’Malley really answers that with this finding-yourself road trip meditation.  It was passable, but ethereal, a snowflake on my consciousness that has since passed.  There is a passage near the end, the character is narrating the rest of the trip, and she says “Generally the rest of the story was probably more interesting if you were there and the jokes seemed funnier at the time.” I think this is true of the whole endeavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment